If you have a child who loves creative challenges you may want to avoid scheduling family vacation during the week of August 8. During that week, Lake Forest School District will sponsor Camp Invention at Central Elementary School on Killens Pond Road.
This is a specially designed summer day camp experience for students who will be in first through sixth grades next year. The Camp Invention folks tell us the week is made of “five exciting modules that are designed to provide a unique opportunity to explore the unknown, tinker with ideas and satisfy an innate sense of curiosity. Children will tap into their creativity to solve real-world challenges and work as a team, using problem solving as a portal to discovery.”
The program includes experiences with some interesting titles. Makes me wish I was a kid again.
• Problem Solving on Planet ZAK Crash land on an alien planet! Use your creativity to assess its weather conditions, assemble protective shelter and clothing and survive this strange environment.
• Saving Sludge City It’s up to you to “green Up” the contaminated wasteland.
• Imagination Point: Ride Physics Investigate the science behind daredevil rides and construct your own model roller coaster.
• Game on: Power Play Explore new games and add your own twist.
• I Can Invent: Edison’s Workshop Take apart old appliances and build new machines with the stuff inside.
The camp will run from 9am to 3:30pm from August 8-12. Registration is $190 per child until March 30. After that the cost is $215. A down payment of $50 will secure your child’s spot. The camp will be directed by local qualified educators and is not limited to students of Lake Forest.
Elementary students in Lake Forest Schools have been given a flyer with all the information you need to register your child. But, if you didn’t get one because it disappeared in that black hole known as the backpack you can register on line at www.campinvention.org or by calling 800.968.4332. Be sure to mention promo code RERD.
We are proud to bring Camp Invention to our community this summer. Renowned for the difference it’s making nationwide, this STEM enrichment program will provide a safe, creative outlet for children to extend school year learning through fun hands-on activities that develop important life skills that prepare them for the 21st century.